Francis Battaglia

FrancisBattagliaFrancis Battaglia, President of KFNX News Talk Radio 1100  served as the Emcee for the second half of the WUFC Arizona Centennial Cancer Research Fundraiser.

Francis Battaglia was born in Flatbush, Brooklyn (N.Y.) and graduated from the University of Virginia in 1990 from the McIntire School of Commerce with a Bachelors Degree. He started in radio at WALE 990 Providence, Rhode Island in 1990 as an account rep. From then on he held the positions of General Sales Manager, General Manager, President and Owner from 1990 – 1998. In 1998, Francis purchased KFNX ‘News-Talk Radio’ 1100 and currently holds the same positions. He is on the Board of The Arizona Interfaith Movement and a member of numerous Valley Chamber and business networking organizations. Francis does a lot of charity work, including volunteering at the Sheriff’s jails. He lives in North Scottsdale, and attends the Franciscan Renewal Center Catholic Church.

Francis Battaglia shares his father’s cancer experience:

“My name is Francis Battaglia, President of KFNX News Talk Radio 1100. I’d like to tell you about my dad, Frank Battaglia, and his battle with colon cancer. Although he suffered a near fatal heart attack at 43, my current age, he changed his diet, exercise program, and quit smoking. He lived another 31 years. His father had died at the age 69 from a heart attack. Heart disease had run in his family, but cancer had not. His mother lived until she was 93 and his grandmother until she was 102. Around 50 he started getting regular colonoscopy exams every 5 years. He had some polyps removed over the years, but they were not cancerous. For some reason he decided not to get an exam when he was 70. At that time he had experienced bleeding from the rectum, drove himself to the hospital and was examined. Unfortunately, he didn’t get a colonoscopy even though my mother had encouraged him to get one.  At 72 he started experiencing pains in his stomach. After seeing the doctor, he was diagnosed with acute appendicitis and was sent to the hospital. After being admitted into the hospital, he was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer that had already spread to his liver and lymph nodes. He had surgery to install a port, developed an infection and had to have surgery again to move the port.

“He didn’t start chemotherapy until two months later and experienced terrible side effects.

“He made great progress though, was in remission and attended the survivors’ party at the hospital later that year. He was able to enjoy the summer, taking a road trip fromNew YorktoCincinnati. Unfortunately, the cancer returned a year later and he had to go through a second round of chemotherapy. He had to have surgery to remove a blockage before he started which severely weakened him. He didn’t make much progress and experienced even worse side effects.  They restarted the first treatment again but it didn’t work this time.

“Unfortunately, he eventually succumbed to the disease, passing away suddenly only a week later on March 25, 2011 at the age of 74. I can only imagine what would have happened if he would have had a colonoscopy when he was 70. Maybe they would have caught and treated the cancer successfully before it had spread. Maybe he would still be with us today. His experience shows me the value of regular colonoscopy exams and the devastating effects of the disease when not detected early. I only wish I could tell my dad that today. I miss him.”